Using a harness is a secure and safe solution when walking your cat. In addition, a cat cannot slip out of a harness easily. Indeed, a rope harness is necessary when you suddenly notice your regular cat harness is broken or dirty.
Instead of buying a new one, you can simply use a rope. In this article, you will learn how to make a cat harness out of a rope.
Using a cat harness made out of a rope gives an added layer of protection in the event that the cat gets separated from you.
If you don’t have anything handy to walk your cat with or have a strong rope at home, let’s look into making a cat harness out of a rope.
How to Make a Cat Harness Out of a Rope
Let’s list the materials you will need to make your cat harness out of a rope below:
- A 4-6 foot rope (it could be a climber’s rope or a normal rope that has some elasticity)
- A collar (ensure that the collar covers your cat nicely)
- Hair clip
- Form a knot around the metal ring
- The majority of collars come with a metal ring.
- Make a double knot with the tip of your rope around the metal ring. The tightest and strongest knot is an overarm knot.
- Take the length measurement of your cat
- Fasten the rope to the metal ring and place the collar on the cat.
- Measure the length of their neck to the end of their shoulder blades using the rope from the metal ring.
- Place your fingers at that distance and set them aside.
- Tie a knot in the specific area where you placed your fingers.
- You can now use a hair clip to replace your fingers.
- The clip should be positioned at the point where the cat’s upper arms meet.
- After the clip has indicated the area, you can remove it and tie a knot there.
- You’ll want to tie a knot at the side of the collar. The knot should form just under the clip.
- Don’t tie the knot fully. There should be a small hole left. You can remove the hair clip once the knot is in position.
- Make a large loop for the cat’s legs.
- Take the rope’s end and thread it through the knot’s little hole.
- The rope should not be pulled too far into the hole.
- You should instead build a huge loop.
- Then fasten the collar on your cat and rest the straight end of the rope against its back.
- The loop should be placed behind the front legs of your cat.
- You can tighten the loop around your cat’s legs until it lays nicely against your cat.
- Use a hair clip to identify the best spot for tightness at this point.
- Tie the loop completely.
- Remove the rope’s end from the loop, leaving the hair clip in place.
- Then, in the location where the hair clip is, tie a knot with the end of the rope.
- Then grab the rope’s end and wrap it back through the knot.
- Pull the rope through the loop until it hooks onto the knot.
- Tighten the Knot
- Reposition the loop behind your cat’s legs by loosening it.
- Fasten the collar on your cat and maintain the harness’s straight line around its back.
- You may tighten the knot around your cat’s body by pulling on it.
- Secure the rope with a hair clip.
- Finally, secure the hair clip to the rope’s long section.
- You’ll want to clip it where that section of the rope meets the knot.
- This will make it more difficult for the cat to get out of the harness.
Types of Cat Harness Made Out of Rope
There are also different types of DIY on how to make a cat harness out of rope from the comfort of your home, such as:
This option is meant to keep your dog or cat as close as possible to you. This provides you with better control over your dog in high-traffic locations.
The Walker’s Harness
This keeps your cat in line. It is similar to what you see on guide dogs.
When you require both hands, this style is ideal. It comes in handy while jogging or running with your cat.
These are simple steps on how to make a cat harness out of a rope that you can create in a few minutes at home.
Making a cat harness out of a rope is the simplest DIY with just some materials you have at home.
With these simple steps on how to make a cat harness out of a rope, you won’t be bothered by your regular dirty or broken harness.